A place where laughter is a part of life

A place where laughter is a part of life
Photograph: www.bixby.berkeley.edu

09 October 2011

London Versus Nigeria

Finding myself in London with an unplanned month of time to kill I did a lot of reading.  One book that made it's way into my collection was "The Shadow of the Sun: My African Life" by Ryszard Kapuscinski which provided an apt description of Europe versus Africa:

"In Europe, the man on the street is usually heading toward a definite goal.  The crowd has a direction and a rhythm, which is frequently characterized by haste.  In an African city, only some of the people behave this way.  The others are not going anywhere; they have nowhere to go and no reason to go there."

And so it was that I found myself trapped between the two cultures; a Westerner by birth whose natural instinct was to walk with haste and yet I had nowhere in particular to go and no reason to go there.

Despite my lack of purpose as I idly waited for my return visa to be approved, it was apparent that my genetic predisposition of direction and rhythm shone through.  A few weeks into my stay and tour guides quit touting me with offers to see the sights of London - I can only assume that my pace suggested I was a local with somewhere very definite to be.  How do you think I felt when a group of Aussie backpackers sought my advice on directions and ridiculously I could assist because I'd been aimlessly combing the streets of London for so long?!  As I offered my advice they noted my Australian accent and inquired as to whether I lived in London.  To which the only response I could muster was "err, no, not really" although it was certainly starting to feel like that was the case.  Most intriguing of all however was when a Nigerian lady bailed me up and burst into tears about the troubles she was having trying to track down a police station that had found her missing wallet.  I couldn't help but wonder whether I gave off a Nigerian vibe that made her comfortable to seek my help... how bizarre!

London spoilt me with some Westerner delights that I'd definitely missed over the last six months... massages, waxing, hairdressers, dentists, shopping and food to die for!  I think I may have eaten my body weight in cheese!  I had the opportunity to catch up with Steph who'd just returned from three months in Spain, and Steve flew in from Dubai for four magical days together.

My return to Nigeria couldn't have come soon enough though.  I'd have always thought that if someone offered me a month trapped in London (or anywhere for that matter) with no responsibilities that it would seem like a dream come true.  The reality is that I felt useless!

Since returning home, I've laughed many times over at the weird little things I encounter that make Nigeria "home" for now...

  • Where else in the world do bank tellers hand over your money and wish you good transactions?
  • Where can you find cars with signs that say "buy me" or "marry me"?
  • Not once did the hotel doormen in London make announcements like "you're going out" or "you're back" as I was leaving or returning... that can be very important if you ever have a moment of disorientation!
  • Likewise, not a single Londoner took the time to smile broadly and say "well done" as I jogged through Hyde Park... that does wonders for motivation!
  • In London you definitely can't own a crocodile, baboon or monkey as a pet!  Now before all you tree-hugging, animal activists post angry comments of disdain to this idea, let me emphatically declare that I am an animal lover and don't condone this notion... but let's be honest and remember that we're a country where human rights are still a work in progress... animal rights haven't quite made it to the political agenda!
  • And there's certainly no advertising to make you laugh every day in London like the couple I've spotted since my return to Nigeria...


Is that a cham or a sham? A private lesson in what exactly? With artwork like that, you're clearly a winner!


Despite my London skin tone and the fact that I blended with the crowd and didn't have the pleasure of being reminded on a daily basis that I'm white, it was apparent that Nigeria has left it's mark on me.  I was certainly the only white person in London excited by the fact that cars drive in lanes and obey traffic rules... more than once I caught myself looking a little out of place as I waved with great enthusiasm and gratitude every time a car would actually stop and let me cross at a zebra crossing.  Anyone who's lived in Nigeria will understand just how very novel such an experience can be!

My parting piece of advice for Nigerians who might find themselves living in London and feeling a little homesick is to make a visit to the Nigerian High Commission.  From the outside it looks very London... it's a beautiful old building not far from Trafalgar Square... and yet it's like entering a twilight zone in that the second you cross the threshold it's like an instantaneous return to the chaos, loudness and laughter that's so absolutely Nigeria!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah you can get your legs waxed in a salon upstairs from Amigos, 3500 it was last time I was there- January I think. 1000 in Ibadan though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate to this. I haven't even left yet and only been here for a week and a half but I know I see things differently already.

    ReplyDelete