A place where laughter is a part of life

A place where laughter is a part of life
Photograph: www.bixby.berkeley.edu

26 March 2011

It's the Simple Things in Life

I’ve often marvelled at the idea of seeing my own city through my tourist eyes or practicing the playfulness and curiosity of a child.  Nigeria gives me that opportunity.  I’ve come to realise that when life is stripped back to basics, it really is the simple things that keep you smiling.

Our weekly market outing is always a highlight.  The sounds, smells, chaos and colours tickle your senses and serve as a constant reminder that it’s not an activity for the faint-hearted.  There’s something amusing about the eternal fascination that my whiteness attracts with the constant cries of “baturi” and “oyibo” (white person in Hausa and Igbo).  Bargaining is an essential part of life and a talent you quickly master.  Like everything else in Nigeria, laughter is the secret weapon in the negotiating game.  A snide giggle and a few local words is all that it takes to make sure the white-price is slashed and the mood switched to one of laughter, adoration and secret handshakes.


Food often fuels my simple pleasures and never more so than when I’m spoilt with things that have now become life’s luxuries.  This weekend has been a total taste bud treat with pizza, wine and chocolate.  Never again will I take such devilish things for granted!

Sometimes joy comes from living vicariously through friends whose volunteer experience is a little more grass roots than my privileged existence.  Try to imagine a work environment where your boss is known as “mumzy” and you demonstrate respect to your superiors with the ludicrous titles of “auntie” or “uncle.”

In keeping with the theme of aunties, innocence, playfulness, curiosity and joy… today we welcomed the gorgeous little Oskar Jack Tremethick to the world… congratulations Sam and Anna!


No comments:

Post a Comment