A place where laughter is a part of life

A place where laughter is a part of life
Photograph: www.bixby.berkeley.edu

14 March 2011

What in the Word?

It's words that have kept me entertained in the last 24 hours.

What exactly would you like with your food?  Food and fish, food and chicken, or perhaps food and beef?  If you're hungry, can I suggest a side serve of extra food?

The menu itself had me in stitches but the real clincher came when we were told that since it was Sunday and everyone was at church there was "no food, only meat."

I can only assume that "food" is something like pounded yam which is a Nigerian favourite but since there wasn't any food, it remains one of life's great mysteries for now.

On the flip side however, I'm delighted to report that Nigeria is leading the way in the fight against malaria as this news headline proves:

"Some experts at the weekend blamed the colossal loss of under-five children and pregnant women to malaria in Nigeria on lack of proper policy direction on the disease.  They called for commitment by all Nigerians to kill at least one mosquito a day in order to reverse the trend."

So obvious really.  I'm going to do my bit for the country and up the anti to five a day!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck Sarah, in my experience Abuja mosquitos are invisible and silent. By the way I am Emily a VSO in Ibadan, I was in Abuja, in fact I think I emailed you before you came. Glad you are enjoying things so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love to read your stories! I hope you are well - not having enough food. LOL ;-)

    ReplyDelete