A place where laughter is a part of life

A place where laughter is a part of life
Photograph: www.bixby.berkeley.edu

23 February 2011

Expat Living Minus the Salary

Having mentally prepared myself for the most basic of living standards I find myself blessed with expat-style accommodation beyond my wildest dreams.  I share a double story, three bedroom house with two delightful girls (Chloe and Stephanie) in the most exclusive part of Abuja.

Everyday I pinch myself just to make sure it's real!

Living with a foot inside both the expat and volunteering worlds gives rise to it's own unique challenges however.  For example, how do you explain at the market that you can't possibly afford the price of washing powder when there's a clear assumption that you must have a machine?  Or how do you get another expat to comprehend that a glass of wine absolutely blows your NGN7000 (AUD45) weekly budget?

Life is tough (not)!

No comments:

Post a Comment