A place where laughter is a part of life

A place where laughter is a part of life
Photograph: www.bixby.berkeley.edu

20 February 2011

Life Without Power and Water

Kafanchan is a town roughly 2.5-3 hours north east of Abuja in southern Kaduna state with a population of approximately 85,000 people.  As one of the main junctions of the local railway system it was once a busy and thriving town but since the collapse of the railway it's residents have turned primarily to agriculture.

It offered me a wonderful four day adventure and lessons in life without power and water.  What sort of activities are available with such constraints?
  • I turned local celebrity by being filmed at the opening of the Fantsuam Foundation Rural Health Centre for a local news station, despite that I'll never see it since a television would be pointless in a town without power.











  • I attended my first agricultural lesson in Hausa and fast learnt that being white prompts some common assumptions and expectations; I'm automatically considered a wealthy philanthropist, I'm expected to introduce myself from the stage and I'm incredibly amusing (so much so that I can prompt hysterical laughter without even opening my mouth).
  • I was treated to a Kenyan meal of wet fry beef, ugali, omelette and vegetables prepared painstakingly on a kerosene stove.  This activity reinforced the fact that I have an iron-gut capable of even sustaining meat bought from an outdoor market sweltering in 40-45 degree heat.
  • I returned the favour by teaming up and preparing vegetarian pasta.  Eating market meat is one thing; purchasing and preparing it is a whole new ball game that's on hold for now.  Although I also achieved my first lesson in catching, killing and plucking a chicken!  I always thought I'd be a great contestant on Amazing Race but perhaps I should be aiming for Survivor with my newly acquired skills.
  • I sampled Nigerian beer, got over excited when offered a pie (only to discover that really means pastie) and boogied the night away with the locals to generator driven beats.











  • I also tried palm wine which is a local favourite but let's just say "been there, done that, never doing it again!"  The smell alone is enough to kill!
  • I capped off the weekend with a magnificent hike to waterfalls in the Kagoro hills.  It was a wonderful break from the constant noise, dust and craziness that is Nigeria.










Thanks to Kim, Nicholas, Jenny, Gordon and all the fabulous Fantsuam staff for such fun times xxx

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your incredable journey. I find the news on tv harder to trust and blogs like your gives ballance. You are a very specail person, best wishes. Greetings from Australia.

    ReplyDelete